JOIN OUR ERA LEAGUE ACTION TEAM
Education and advocacy related to the Equal Rights Amendment.
At the 2015 state convention of the LWV NC, members voted to make the Equal Rights Amendment an action item. For the first time since 1982, the ERA was introduced in both houses of the NC General Assembly in 2015. Primary sponsor of the Senate legislation (S.184) was Senator Floyd McKissick. In the House, Rep. Carla Cunningham was primary sponsor of H.166; a third of House members signed on as cosponsors. Neither bill received a hearing in the respective committees. This spring, the state League signed on as a lead organization in the new ERA-NC Alliance, a coalition of numerous state and local organizations dedicated to making the ERA part of the U.S. Constitution. Formation of the Alliance was announced on April 12, Equal Pay Day. For information about the Alliance, visit www.era-nc.org.
WHY WE NEED THE EQUAL RIGHTS AMENDMENT
- To guarantee constitutional equality for women and men
- To set an enforceable norm for equal pay
- To protect women workers from pregnancy discrimination
- To strengthen enforce laws against gender violence
- To influence efforts toward social equality at all levels
- To show the world that we are serious about equal rights
The League of Voters of North Carolina is taking action to advocate for ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment. You can help by staying informed and joining our ERA Action Team. Our team engages in occasional conference calls, Lobby Days at the NCGA, Op Ed submissions, and person-to-person education.
ERA LEAGUE ACTION TEAM
- E-mail us to join this statewide action team
- Follow LWVNC and your local League on social media