JOIN OUR ENVIRONMENT LEAGUE ACTION TEAM
Education and advocacy related to the protection of our environment.
Please take a few minutes to call or write NC legislators about these current issues:
- NCGA Considering Repeal of Coastal Plastic Bag Ban (HB-56): take action
Regional Summit on the Atlantic Coast Pipeline hosted by Clean Water for NC
- Saturday, September 9 from 1:30 – 5:30 p.m.
- Wilson Community College, Del Mastro Auditorium
- $25 admission for general public, light refreshments provided
- Advance registration required by September 7 – REGISTER HERE
- Learn more at Clean Water for North Carolina
Webinar: Learn about the Atlantic Coast Pipeline
- To read more, download presentation materials – PDF
- To help with education and advocacy – email Jennifer Rubin
Why the Atlantic Coast Pipeline is NOT a Path to Clean Energy for NC
Hope Taylor, Executive Director of Clean Water for NC, will offered a 35 minute presentation on the economic, climate, and environmental justice impacts of the proposed Atlantic Coast Pipeline, as well as water and air impacts. Learn how the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission has allowed profits of up to 14% for pipeline builders, and fails to evaluate whether new natural gas pipelines are even necessary. A recent report “The Power Behind the Pipelines” describes how Dominion and Duke, the largest owners of the Atlantic Coast Pipeline, have used major political connections and donations to build bipartisan support. The $5.6B pipeline would be mostly paid for by rate hikes for utility ratepayers throughout NC and VA, and would disrupt communities and landowners in communities of color and low income in eight eastern NC counties.
About Our Environment LAT
The League of Women Voters has been at the forefront of the environmental protection movement for decades, consistently supporting legislation to preserve our nation’s natural resources and protect our public health. We support legislation that seeks to protect our country from the physical, economic and public health effects of climate change while also providing pathways to economic prosperity.
The League believes that averting the damaging effects of climate change requires action from both individuals and governments at the local, state, national and international levels. By raising public awareness of the causes and likely impacts of climate change, helping citizens learn what they can do to protect the environment and building broad support for effective climate solutions, we can help put our country — and our planet — on the path to a sustainable future.
We believe that a path toward a clean energy future will strengthen our economy by opening up millions of jobs to Americans while also rescuing America from its dependence on fossil fuels, reducing threats to our health, protecting the natural resources that we depend upon for survival and creating millions of domestic jobs.
WHY WE NEED ENVIRONMENTAL ADVOCACY
- to protect our air quality
- to improve energy efficiency throughout the economy
- to build grassroots support for action on climate change
The League of Voters of North Carolina is taking action on environmental advocacy. You can help by staying informed and joining our Environment League Action Team.
ENVIRONMENT LEAGUE ACTION TEAM
- Subscribe to join this statewide action team
- Follow LWVNC and your local League on social media
ACTION TEAM LEADER
- Contact Jennifer Rubin: email@example.com