The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization encouraging informed and active participation in government. It influences public policy through education and advocacy. We never support or oppose any political party or candidate.
The League of Women Voters has two separate and distinct roles.
- Voters Service/Citizen Education: we present unbiased nonpartisan information about elections, the voting process, and issues.
- Action/Advocacy: we are also nonpartisan, but, after study, we use our positions to advocate for or against particular policies in the public interest.
The League of Women Voters, a membership organization, conducts action and advocacy and is a nonprofit 501(c)(4) corporation.
Our Vision, Beliefs, and Intentions guide our activities.
At convention June 2, 2013, LWVNC adopted the following issues for emphasis for 2013-14:
- Fair Elections
- Advocacy for Voter Protection
- Education issues and public education reform
- Health Care
- Ratification of the ERA in NC
Most members join a local League and pay local dues. Part of these dues support the state LWVNC and the national LWV.
These are the local LWV chapters in North Carolina:
Our members are also members of:
Board of Directors' Retreat, July 9-11, 2015